Forms for Finance
Travel Expense and Reimbursement policy
• All employees must check with their immediate Director to determine if a county vehicle will be available for all travel. If a vehicle is not available from the Director, then you will need to check with the Transportation Department. All travel at county expense must have prior approval of the Superintendent of Schools.
• Mileage reimbursement will be made at the same rate as established by the state of West Virginia.
• Authorization must be secured for each out-of-county trip prior to the date travel is scheduled to begin. Out-of-state trips must have board approval prior to the scheduled date of travel.
• Reimbursement for approved out-of-county/state transportation shall be limited to the actual cost supported by ticket copies, stubs, or other appropriate documentation. Mileage reimbursement is based on the most direct and practical route possible.
• Reimbursement for lodging expense for approved out-of-county/state overnight travel is limited to the actual cost supported by a receipt for the amount paid.
• Receipts are not required for meal purchases. Reimbursement for meals within and outside West Virginia will be made at a flat rate of $25.00 per day. Such reimbursement may only be made when overnight travel is required. An employee is entitled to the $25.00 per date rate for all days traveled on overnight trips.
• Reimbursement for a registration fee is allowable if a receipt supports the cost for the amount paid. Professional and organizational fees will not be reimbursed.
• When a cancellation is necessary, the employee is responsible for canceling travel arrangements and is liable for all costs incurred by the Board including all prepaid payments associated with the travel.
• Reimbursement for expenses for partisan political purposes is prohibited.
All travel reimbursements shall be made using the current county reimbursement form and have all required receipts (excluding meals) attached. Also, the form must be signed by both the employee requesting reimbursement, as well as the party responsible for payment and turned into the Finance Department within 30 days. Failure to comply with any part of this policy could result in non-payment of the travel expenses.